As part of its commitment to addressing key community issues, United Way is developing strategies to positively impact the financial stability of our citizens. The goal is to help move working people towards greater economic self-sufficiency and away from the safety net services that are used during crisis situations.
One of the first initiatives toward this goal is North Penn United Way’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), VITA provides free income tax preparation assistance to individuals and families who meet the IRS household income threshold set annually by the IRS. In addition to providing free tax preparation, VITA works to ensure everyone in the community receives all of the tax credits and deductions for which they are eligible. In 2016, Campaign for Working families will be taking charge for NPUW's VITA servies.
Be a VITA Volunteer
Last year, nearly 50 community volunteers contributed more than 2,000 hours of service, helping more than 600 individuals and families receive free tax preparation services.
Great volunteers are the key to our success. To join this year's effort and help make a difference in our community contact Jonathan Barnes at 267.457.2653 or email@example.com.
We are currently seeking volunteers for the following positions:
· Volunteer Tax Preparers help individuals and families prepare their tax returns and ensure all eligible taxpayers receive their qualifying tax credits.
· Volunteer Greeters welcome VITA participants to the site and ensure that they are prepared with all required documentation to meet with the tax preparer.
· Volunteer Site Coordinators/Quality Reviewers manage the operations of the United Way VITA site, including volunteer staff and quality control.
· Volunteer Interpreters assist taxpayers who have limited English proficiency. We are currently seeking Korean interpreters.
Beginning late January through Tax Day, VITA volunteers are asked to work one shift every week for approximately three hours. VITA volunteers can choose the site and schedule that is most convenient.
Tax Preparer Training
Volunteer tax preparers are required to complete IRS tax certification at the Basic level. Campaign for Working Families has developed a training model that provides a supportive learning environment where you will excel.
Benefits of Volunteering
· Gain a valuable and marketable skill
· Make new friends! This is a great opportunity to meet other people in our community who are dedicated to helping others.
· Satisfaction of knowing that you had a direct impact on our community. Imagine helping someone put food on the table or saving someone from a mortgage foreclosure. As a VITA volunteer, you will help individuals and families keep their hard-earned money.
Video: Find out how you can help low-to-moderate income families file their taxes